The Saddleback men's tennis team opened the season with an 8-1 win at Glendale College on Tuesday afternoon in Glendale. The Gauchos won all three doubles matches in steamrolling past the Vaqueros.
Saddleback opened the match with three straight wins in doubles play. The combination of Shayan Haddad Kaveh and Chris Torcaso blanked Nicholas Pupiek and Jinseok Lee, 8-0, in opening the season on a high note at No. 1 doubles. Ryan Burns and Anthony Tran were the next to end their match at No. 3 doubles when they cruised past the combination of Sam Azaryan and Marcel Contin, 8-2. The No. 2 doubles match was a close one, with Saddleback's Tyler Edwards and Lucas Fortt closing out Glendale's Steven Sandoval and Hakop Chagaian, 9-7.
After winning his doubles match, Haddad Kaveh would make quick work of his opponent at No. 1 singles with a 6-2, 6-0 win against Pupiek, leaving Saddleback just one point shy of a team win. Lucas Fortt then finished off the Vaqueros with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles and the Gauchos were in the win column for the first time this season.
Shaddad Kaveh (left), Fortt (center) and Edwards (right) were all two-time winners on the day, winning in both singles and doubles play.
Saddleback will look to improve to 2-0 on Tuesday when they travel to Citrus College to take on Mt. San Antonio College, who is playing all of their home matches at Citrus due to construction on their tennis courts. The match is scheduled to start at 2:00 PM, weather permitting.
- Shayan Haddad Kaveh (SC) def. Nicholas Pupiec (GC) 6-2, 6-0
- Tyler Edwards (SC) def. Steven Sandoval (GC) 6-3, 6-4
- Hakop Chagaian (GC) def. Chris Torcaso (SC) 6-3, 6-4
- Lucas Fortt (SC) def. Jinseok Lee (GC) 6-2, 6-2
- Ivan Ozerets (SC) def. Sam Azaryan (GC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Oliver Ludwig (SC) def. Andrea Sinental (GC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Haddad Kaveh & Torcaso (SC) def. Pupiec & Lee (GC) 8-0
- Edwards & Fortt (SC) def. Sandoval & Chagaian (GC) 9-7
- Ryan Burns & Anthony Tran (SC) def. Azaryan & Marcel Contin (GC) 8-2