The Saddleback men's tennis team remained in first place in the Orange Empire Conference with a 7-2 win against Orange Coast College on Thursday afternoon at the Saddleback Tennis Complex. It was the third win in three days for the Gauchos.
Saddleback was playing for a third straight day after some rainouts earlier in the month forced the Gauchos to rearrange their schedule. In a rare feat, Saddleback won for the third straight day, dominating the Pirates despite playing on fumes.
Saddleback didn't let the rigid schedule get the best of them as they came out inspired and never looked exhausted. The Gauchos won 2-of-3 doubles matches and then showed tremendous depth in streaking past the Pirates for a 7-2 win.
Shayan Haddad Kaveh, Tyler Edwards, Chris Torcaso and Oliver Ludwig all managed to win twice on Thursday. Haddad Kaveh (pictured) teamed with Torcaso for an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles to give Saddleback a 1-0 lead in the team match. He then weathered a grueling three-set match at No. 1 singles, beating Quon Troc 4-6, 6-4, 10-7. Torcaso had an easier time at singles when he raced past Ryan Mulrooney 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4 singles to give the Gauchos their first win of the day in singles play and a 3-1 team lead. Edwards and Ludwig were 9-7 winners at No. 3 doubles before winning individually. Edwards was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over August Wilhelm at No. 2 singles while Ludwig was a 6-3, 6-1 winner over Daniel Zerlotti at No. 6 singles. Ivan Ozerets was also a winner in singles play, beating Yuma Olsen 6-3, 6-0 at No. 5 singles.
Saddleback is now 6-2 overall and 3-0 in Orange Empire Conference play after the win. The Gauchos have a half-game lead over Irvine Valley College in the OEC standings with two matches left in the first half of the conference schedule.
Saddleback will play again next Thursday when they host Irvine Valley College at the Saddleback Tennis Complex. Match time with the Lasers is scheduled for 2:00 PM.
1. Shayan Haddad Kaveh & Chris Torcaso (SC) def. August Von Wilhelm & Ryan Mulrooney (OCC) 8-3
2. Quoc Tran & Justin Pham (OCC) def. Ryan Burns & Ivan Ozerets (SC) 8-4
3. Oliver Ludwig & Tyler Edwards (SC) def. Daniel Zerlotti & Yuma Olsen (OCC) 9-7
1. Shayan Haddad Kaveh (SC) def. Quoc Tran (OCC) 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
2. Tyler Edwards (SC) def. August Wilhelm (OCC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Justin Pham (OCC) def. Lucas Fortt (SC) 6-1, 5-7 (10-7)
4. Chris Torcaso (SC) def. Ryan Mulrooney (OCC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ivan Ozerets (SC) def. Yuma Olsen (OCC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Oliver Ludwig (SC) def. Daniel Zerlotti (OCC) 6-3, 6-1